At Joseph Swan Academy, we talk regularly to our students about a range of different topics. We value their feedback immensely. We recently completed a student voice within Year 7 with regards to Transition from Primary to Secondary school. Here is what the students had to say…
Students felt transition provided at JSA helped them:
- To feel more confident about attending JSA.
- To get to know some of the teachers before September.
- To gain important knowledge about day to day life at JSA.
- To spend more time in their new school than some of their friends did.
- Because they knew Mr Bland from his work in local primary schools in Year 5 and 6.
Students chose JSA because:
- Some of them have older siblings at JSA who have enjoyed school.
- Both students and parents liked the feel of the Academy from Open Evening.
- It has a good reputation in the community.
- They liked the school on the many primary visits they had made in younger years.
- They already felt like a part of the Academy from the work they had done and links we have made with local primary schools.
- The Academy is close to home and is their local school.
- The Academy values individuality.
- The Academy excels in Music and sport, which was important to them.
- Five full days of being a Joseph Swan student was amazing.
- We were really well looked after by Mr Bland and Mrs Watson.
- It was helpful to get to know your tutor and classmates.
- I loved receiving a free T shirt from the Head Teacher, Miss Scott.
- The Doddington Dairy Workshop was great – creating your own ice cream! This was definitely a favourite amongst students.
- I really enjoyed Sports Day: I would like more opportunity to try out on the climbing wall.
- It was cool to pay for your food with your finger print.
- We were exhausted by the end of the week, but loved every second!
- Students would like to do even more ‘real lessons’.
- It gave us more independence.
- We had the whole Academy to ourselves so we could explore and get to know the layout.
- We enjoyed working in teams to get to know other students before September.
- The treasure hunt was great – it was good fun but also an excellent way to find your way around the Academy.
- It was a fun thing to do when my other friends were bored in the house!
- We learnt a lot of amazing facts and information from the Riverside Falconry workshop.