Dear Parent / Carer
As you know most schools and academies now extend their Behaviour Policy to include travelling to and from school. Joseph Swan Academy is no different. In fact in many ways we are at the forefront in what we doing to support our local community and in keeping our students as safe as possible.
It is important to note that the absolute vast majority of our students uphold our Vision and Values and Standards including those in our Shine Charter each and every day as they travel to and from the Academy. It is always good however, to review our procedures to see if these could be improved especially to ensure students continue to be as safe as possible and that they uphold our standards. This review has taken place.
It is now important to share with you an important reminder with some additions of how students should both come to and go home from the Academy.
These will start from Monday 8th January 2018.
Students walking to and from the Academy
- Full Academy uniform should be worn including school shoes.
- Students should not use their phones while walking to and from the Academy for safety reasons.
- Students should walk on the footpaths.
- Students should always use crossing points or the underpass to cross the roads.
- Students should walk in an orderly manner and be courteous to other pedestrians and members of the public.
- Students should speak quietly and in a courteous manner to each other as they walk to the Academy.
- Students are not allowed to smoke including E-cigarettes while walking to and from the Academy or on the Academy site.
- Students who walk to the Academy must uphold our Vision, Values, and Standards of the Academy including those in our Shine Charter at all times.
Students arriving to and from the Academy on bicycles
- Students must wear a helmet and have lights on their bicycles.
- Students should wear reflective stripes on their coats, clothing and bags and should have an appropriate lock for the bicycle.
- Students must obey all rules of the road (we will be having ‘safety on the road sessions’ for cyclists from January).
- Students must ensure they do not put themselves or others at any risk because of the way they are cycling.
- Students who cycle to the Academy must register as a cyclist with their Year Leader and inform them of the route they take to come to the Academy.
- Students who cycle to the Academy must uphold our Vision, Values, and Standards of the Academy including those in our Shine Charter at all times.
Students travelling to and from the Academy via scholars’ bus/public transport
- Students must have an appropriate Academy bus pass.
- Students must only travel on the dedicated bus the number of which is on their pass (the only exception to this is if the student’s Year Leader has received a written letter from Parents/Carers for a specific date and time period.
- Students must behave appropriately at all times, must be mannerly and show courtesy and respect to members of the public, staff and other students.
- Students are not allowed to smoke including E-cigarettes on the scholars’ buses/public transport or on the Academy site.
- Students must use appropriate language at all times. Any student using unacceptable language will receive a serious sanction.
- From Monday 8th January 2018 no bottles are allowed on the buses. If students would like to keep their water bottles these will be labelled and kept in a dedicated place in the appropriate Year office. This is to avoid any issues with misplaced water bottles or water bottles which have been lost.
- All students and their Parents/Carers must sign the ‘Travelling Safely’ contract. Whilst the absolute majority of our students travel to the Academy in an appropriate manner from Monday 8th January if there are issues one warning letter will be sent to Parents/Carers. If there is another issue within that term the student will not be allowed to use the bus for the remainder of the term.
- The Academy reserves the right if there is an extreme incident to impose a full ban on scholar transport travel. This would also link with an exclusion sanction which could be permanent exclusion for a very serious incident.
- Students who travel to the Academy via scholars’ bus/public transport must uphold our Vision, Values, and Standards of the Academy including those in our Shine Charter at all times.
Students travelling to and from the Academy via car
- Parents/Carers are requested to use the allocated drop off bays.
- Students must leave the Academy car park via the footpath to ensure they are safe.
- Parents/Carers are asked to think about our local residents as they drop off and pick up their children.
- Students who travel to the Academy via car must uphold our Vision, Values and Standards of the Academy including those in our Shine Charter at all times.
As you can see we intend to ensure our students travel by whatever means to and from the Academy in an appropriate manner. We are very pleased to say that this is the case for the absolute majority of the students. This letter is therefore intended to ensure that everyone is clear, including Parents/Carers and students, on the Standards required on the journey to and from the Academy. Thank you as always for your support.
Miss H E Scott