Students took part in a range of activities, some of which included:
- Meeting their new form tutor
- Orientation treasure hunt around the Academy site
- Freshers’ Fayre hosted by Year 7 students
- Doddington’s Dairy Business workshop – designing their own flavour of ice cream
- Identity – What makes me me – PSHE workshop
- Giant Maths puzzles
- Colours of JSA – creative writing workshop
- Series of 7 taster lessons
- All Together Games – sports morning
- Joseph Swan TV ‘Live Feed’ show
- Summer concert from the Academy Band
- Special year group lunches
- Rewards and prize-giving ceremony
We evaluated our week with our students and here is what some of them had to say:
‘This week has really helped me to make new friends, I’m now not nervous about starting in September’
‘I have learnt lots about Joseph Swan, like you have to try your best and you can become a ‘shining star’
‘I’ve enjoyed all aspects of the week, particularly getting to spend a lot of time with my new tutor, who made me feel so welcome and comfortable’
‘Can’t wait till September, can we not stay here longer than just a week?’
‘I’ve learnt that everyone can Shine at Joseph Swan and it’s important you keep trying to do your best and never give up. This is what I will be doing in September’
In addition to the student activities, we also welcomed large numbers of parents and carers to the Academy on Thursday evening for a ‘welcome’ meeting. Guests received important information about the coming year and had the chance to meet our Year 7 tutors and the Academy Leadership Team.
The Academy also opened on Saturday morning to allow parents and carers to order both uniform and P.E kits, ready for September.
We now look forward to welcoming back our Year 6 students for our free summer School event Monday 24th – Thursday 27th July for the final part in our comprehensive transition programme offered to all students.
Head of KS3 & Year 7 Leader